Who is Queen City Hospice and Palliative Care?
Queen City Hospice and Palliative Care is a local, independently owned and operated company that is focused on keeping a person with an advanced, chronic illness comfortable and pain free. Pain is defined as being physical, emotional, psychological, or any combination of the three. Unlike curative care, palliative care is focused solely on improving the quality of life, as defined by the patient.
Who provides the Palliative Care?
Physicians that specialize in pain and symptom management supervise the care, along with the patient’s own physician. The Queen City Hospice and Palliative Care clinical team also includes the following:
- Registered nurses that are experienced in treating patients with an advanced illness
- Experts in psychosocial care, such as counselors, social workers and non-denominational clergy to address the psychological stresses experienced by both the patient and their family
- Home Health Aides that provide assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, light meal preparation and feeding
- Trained volunteers to enhance the quality of care delivered to patients and families by providing companionship, support, and non-medical services
Who is Eligible to Receive These Services?
Anyone who has an advanced illness that does not want to pursue surgery or other aggressive curative interventions is eligible. A person living with a combination of chronic illnesses that have caused some combination of the following:
- The need for assistance with most or all Activities of Daily Living: Walking, Bathing, Dressing, Eating, Toileting
- Unintended weight loss
- Inability to speak coherently due to dementia
- Repeated infections
- Skin breakdown
- Multiple hospitalizations within the previous six months
- Chronic pain
If at any time the patient wants to resume curative or aggressive treatment, they can do so. Medicare and Medicaid will allow them to discontinue our services without any penalties related to insurance coverage. If they choose to do so, the patient can re-enroll in our program at a later date, whenever they choose, to resume care focused on enhancing their quality of life. This means the patient is never locked into a commitment regarding the medical treatment in terms of curative or palliative care. They can change their minds and their enrollment status as many times as they want, at any time they choose. If you are interested in receiving more information about Queen City Hospice and Palliative Care’s services, call us at 513-510-4406 and we will be happy to discuss your needs at a time and place that is convenient for you.